INTRODUCTORY OPEN DAY FRIDAY 25TH JANUARY 3pm-5pm
Budding musicians and industry professionals are to be offered a top class contemporary music education in Manchester.
The award-winning BIMM Group is opening a state of the art £3M campus in the city this September, and has just appointed former EMI CEO Tony Wadsworth CBE as a director to the board.
Recent success stories from BIMM include 2013 BRIT Critic’s Choice Award Winner Tom Odell, who studied on the Professional Diploma in Songwriting course in 2010.
The college is open for applications now and to celebrate, is hosting an open day on Friday 25th January, from 3.00pm (doors open at 2.00pm). BIMM Manchester will take over Gorilla bar and live venue around the corner from the BIMM Manchester campus for the afternoon.
Guests on the day will include Mike Joyce (The Smiths), Richard Jupp (Elbow) and recent BIMM graduate, Ben Thompson (Two Door Cinema Club), who will be talking to Jake Shillingford (Head of Music Business and My Life Story frontman) about their varied and extensive knowledge of the music industry during a live Q&A session and will be taking questions from the audience.
There will also be live performances from former BIMM students; Sam Kelly (Britain’s Got Talent Finalist) and Tiny Dragons.
“During my time as a student at BIMM Brighton I acquired many skills key to becoming a successful musician that I would never have had access to anywhere else. I had a great time honing these skills in the local music scene.
“The key to a successful contemporary music college is being in a city with a thriving music scene, and the music scene in Manchester is nothing short of legendary. Any young musicians like myself who are looking to learn their craft – and learn from people who have really been there and done it – should definitely consider applying.”
Manchester Evening News feature: http://bit.ly/UUABor
Two Door Cinema Club ticket give-away: at the Open Day, Ben Thompson will be giving away 6 pairs of tickets for the band’s Manchester Apollo gigs that weekend to a few lucky attendees.
BIMM Manchester Open Day event schedule – times subject to change
3.00pm Welcome from BIMM Brighton College Manager Adam Bushell
3.05pm Live performance from Sam Kelly (Britain’s Got Talent finalist), accompanied by fellow BIMM Brighton graduate Jamie Francis
3.10pm BIMM Principal Vaseema Hamilton to present introduction to BIMM Manchester
3.20pm Mike Joyce, Richard Jupp and Ben Thompson live Q&A session.
4.00pm Performance from Tiny Dragons.
4.50pm Presentation to end. Drinks and snacks to be served for a ‘meet and greet / networking reception.
For more information please see BIMM Manchester website: bimm.co.uk/manchester
- The Open Day will be held at Gorilla (54-58 Whitworth St, Man, M1 5WW)
- The new BIMM Manchester campus will be located on Gt Marlborough St in Manchester City Centre, to open in September 2013.
- BIMM Manchester is now open for applications through UCAS and courses on offer for 2013 are: BA (Hons) in Professional Musicianship (Guitar, Drums, Vocals, Songwriting, Bass) plus BA (Hons) in Music Business Management and Music Event Management.
- Courses at BIMM Manchester are fully validated by the University of Sussex, currently ranked in the UK’s top 20 Universities at number 13 and within the International top 100.
- BIMM (Brighton, Bristol, Dublin, Manchester and Tech Music School London) is the UK and Ireland’s leading provider of contemporary music vocational and higher education courses.
- In 2012 BIMM was awarded ‘highly trusted status’ by the UK QAA Agency and is fully accredited for International student enrollment. Also in the same year BIMM became a member of UCAS.
- BIMM Group offers its students a broad range of course levels, from diplomas through to BA (Hons) degrees across all five colleges. Its 2000 students can study guitar, bass, drums, vocals, song writing, live sound and tour management and music business. Delivered by 100 trained active professional tutors, all of whom have touring, performing and session experience and a background in the professional music industry.
- BIMM colleges enjoy outstanding retention and achievement rates, excellent student feedback and a strong track record of alumni success; students have scored an unprecedented thirty UK Top 40 singles and have been involved in successful UK Top 20 albums including The Kooks (2 million+ album sales), Beth Rowley and Kate Walsh.
- Other student successes include Ben Thompson, currently on a world tour with Two Door Cinema Club and BIMM Bristol musician Steve Sparrow who is signed to Parlophone Records/EMI with his band Morning Parade. The band is recording their debut album with producer Jason Cox (Gorillaz, Jamie T, Blur) at Damon Albarn’s Studio 13.